Greetings from Torreón, Mexico
The American School of Torreón (C.A.T.) is an accredited, private, independent day school serving the educational needs of the community of the Laguna Region known as the Comarca Lagunera. The Comarca Lagunera is the region where the two states of Durango and Coahuila meet and it includes the 3 cities of Lerdo, Gomez Palacio and Torreón. The school is located in Torreón.
Established in 1954, C.A.T. is governed by a thirteen-member Board of Directors. The educational program includes a college preparatory curriculum taught mainly in English (some classes are in Spanish) that extends from Kinder to 12th grade and that results in the acquisition of an American High School diploma and the Mexican Bachillerato diploma for its graduates. The student body is 97% Mexican, 2% U.S. and 1% others. Both the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (S.A.C.S.) and the Secretary of Education of Mexico accredit C.A.T.
The school's mission statement proclaims its commitment to life long learning, helping students achieve academic excellence, develop responsibility, and become contributing citizens of the global community. We at C.A.T. have much to be grateful for: a modern teaching campus, spacious physical education facilities, an exceptional faculty, a supportive parent community, and best of all a spirited and motivated student body. On behalf of the entire C.A.T. community, I take pleasure in welcoming you to our school community. As we say around here, mi casa es tu casa. Thank you for your interest!
Colegio Americano de Torreón is a bilingual bicultural nursery to 12th grade institution based on the best teaching practices. Through a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, we are dedicated to preparing our students to be socially committed leaders and responsible citizens who are successful in a global environment. Core classes are taught in English. Graduates earn a U.S. high school diploma as well as a Mexican “Bachillerato” certificate.
The vision of Colegio Americano de Torreón can be summarized in three words:
Every CAT student will:
1. Be prepared for university study anywhere in the world.
2. Be fully bilingual in English and Spanish with motivation to develop a third language.
3. Be highly qualified in the use of twenty-first century skills.
4. Be globally aware and respectful of diversity through a deep understanding of their own cultural identity.
5. Be socially proactive leaders and ecologically responsible global citizens.
6. Have the right to grow and learn in a safe and healthy environment.
7. Have parents who take an equal responsibility for being actively involved in their children’s education.
8. Have a staff who is highly qualified, compassionate and committed to their success.
9. Develop a love for learning.
10. Have diverse opportunities to develop their athletic, artistic, and intellectual talents.
The AMERICAN SCHOOL OF Torreón counts with sports facilities like soccer field, track, baseball field, 2 gymnasiums, a solar heated swimming pool and tennis, basketball and volleyball courts.
In the academic area we count with 6 computer labs (one of them a Mac LAB), 8 portable iPad labs, 7 science labs, two media centers with over 20,000 library materials, 3 music classrooms and a center art.
For the care of the students the school counts with an infirmary, cafeteria and 2 counseling office.