In September of 1950 the American School of Torreón began operating with 38 students and 4 teachers in a house provided by Peñoles, a local mining industry.
Four years later, the school had grown and changed its location to 20 Escobedo Avenue. By then, the number of students had increased to 250. Mr. Clinton A. Luckett and Mrs. Joe Athon founded The American School of Torreon with the support of a board of directors, a visionary and progressive group of locals and expats.
The first general director was Dr. Paul H. Jensen. The American School, also known as CAT (Colegio Americano de Torreon) was founded as a non-profit, non-denominational, co-educational institution. Since its beginning, the school has been accredited by S.E.P and since 1954 by the Southern Association of Colleges and School (SACS), a U.S. accrediting agency.
To this date the school maintains accreditation with both SEP and SACS.